Saturday, December 15, 2007

Speedlights



Life is tough sometimes. My girlfriend is more than 5,000 miles away and I probably won't see her for at least 6-months. There is a very cute Filipina girl I really want to photograph, but she has other things on her mind. Funny thing is all I want is to photograph her but she made it very clear she wants more. I would normally jump on it (no pun intended), but I'm trying to stick to one girl. So I sit here alone on a Friday night with my cell phone ringing. She just finished her work and I hope she doesn't decide to pop in to see me at the house. After a couple of beers I want to pick up the phone and call her but I know I will regret it in the end. Besides, my girlfriend knows I have kids and accepts that and she is pregnant. I guess that is why the cold shower was invented.

Okay..... This shot was made using two speedlights. The first speedlight is to camera left and slightly above her shooting down. I used a grid on the light to control the fall off. I pointed it at about shoulder blade height. The second speedlight is positioned inside the door to camera right. It is skimming the closet doors and has a red gel attached. Both are triggered with pocket wizards. I had to be careful to watch the light on the girl as when I had the power too high, it was hitting the closet doors and washing our the red gel effect from the other light. Again, get the light in close to control the falloff.